Publisher X Plus Games and developer Sonzai Games have announced 8-bit 2D platform adventure game Bat Boy for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (Steam). It will launch in 2022.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
Interdimensional mage Lord Vicious has brainwashed Bat Boy’s fellow teammates in order to participate in the Trials of Darkness, a heinously brutal series of athletic events! It’s up to Bat Boy to team up with one-time villain and mouthy crow Garou, traversing all manner of hostile worlds, to free the minds of his sports-hero teammates before they fall victim to the Trials. Along the way, Bat Boy will encounter all manner of characters, some allies, most not, as he fights his way to the final confrontation with Lord Vicious.
Bat Boy pits the titular hero against the former allies of his sports team, heroes such as Racket Girl, Shinai Guy, Aquaria and Mr. Blitzer, among others as he travels through the many worlds beyond Lord Vicious’ dimensional gateway!
- A thrilling 2D platforming adventure set against rich, nostalgic 8-bit backdrops.
- Swing, deflect, spin and power-hit your way through exciting baseball-style combat!
- Explore a vast world of unique and exciting environments, ultimately leading to a showdown with one of Bat Boy’s brainwashed allies!
- Take on the powers of each ally as you free them from the influence of Lord Vicious!
- Glorious 8-bit visuals, reminiscent of early platformer legends.
- High octane chiptunes from Evader Music, composer for Smelter and Super Sami Roll.
- Dozens of enemies, exciting bosses and intriguing companions to encounter!
- Baseball-bat-based traversal and environmental puzzle solving!
- Hidden secrets, collectibles, unlockable music, and more to find!
Watch the announcement trailer below. View a set of screenshots at the gallery.
Comments are welcome and encouraged on Gematsu. However, we ask that you follow a simple set of guidelines:
- Read the full article before commenting.
- Stay on topic.
- No drive-by comments, including trolling, baiting, or shit-posting.
- Know when not to comment. If you do not care about a topic, you do not need to comment.
- No offensive comments. This includes abusive, threatening, pornographic, misleading, or libelous content / language, as well as general harassment and individual attacks.
- No port-begging.
- No console wars.
- Use spoiler tags when posting spoiler or NSFW (non-nude-only) content. For example: <spoiler>Woe is Leomon.</spoiler> State the subject of the content outside of the spoiler tags.
- Be respectful towards other commenters. You do not have to agree with each other, but debate politely. If you find that a commenter is not following this simple etiquette, do not carry on the conversation—simply report it.
Gematsu reserves the right to edit or delete any comments without notice. This comment policy is subject to change at any time.