AWAY: The Survival Series will launch digitally for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC via Steam on September 28, and physically for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 on October 1, developer Breaking Walls announced.
An Xbox One version of AWAY: The Survival Series is also planned, but has yet to receive a release date.
The physical edition will be distributed by Perp Games worldwide and include the following bonus content:
- Digital soundtrack, created and composed by award-winning Mike Raznick, who also worked on BBC’s Life and Planet Earth II.
- Digital artbook, featuring 75 pages of stunning imagery and information about the game.
- A short Augmented Reality Experience “growing out of the game” packaging, created for the Green Game Jam 2021, ran in conjunction with the United Nations’ climate and forest partnership (UN-REDD) and the Playing for the Planet Alliance.
- Plant Trees With Every Copy Sold – Perp Games in partnership with Eden Reforestation Project will plant two trees for each full price physical copy sold,
- Physical Postcard – A physical postcard is inside every boxed copy.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
A storm is coming…
Set in a distant future, a series of natural disasters threatens the survival of every species on the planet. As you venture deeper into the wilderness, do you have what it takes to make it out alive?
Inspired by nature documentaries, AWAY: The Survival Series is a third-person adventure game that takes you on the Sugar Glider’s breathtaking journey into the wild.
As cataclysmic storms bear down on the planet, you must travel across vast environments in search of safer lands. From the mighty treetops to the forest floor, immerse yourself in nature as you explore a vibrant world brimming with life, but beware of the dangers that await on your journey…
- Journey into the Wild – Embark on a Sugar Glider’s journey through nature to save its family. Every step of your story will take you deeper into the wild, where you will face new environments, new enemies, and new challenges. But beware of the coming storm…
- Immerse Yourself in Nature – Soar across misty chasms. Make perfectly timed leaps from tree to tree. Climb to the top of the forest canopy to get a unique view of your world. Explore breathtaking environments where your survival will depend on your ability to climb, glide, sneak, and fight your way out of trouble.
- Play as Other Animals – See the world from a whole new perspective. Explore a diverse and incredibly detailed world full of unique species of plants, animals, and insects. There are even special moments where you get to control other creatures such as beetles, lizards, foxes, and more…
- Fight or Flight – Sugar Gliders may be small but they know how to survive. Hunt down your prey, fend off dangerous enemies, and sneak past apex predators using stealth and agility.
- Enchanting Musical Score – Immerse yourself in AWAY’s enchanting orchestral soundtrack by Mike Raznick, multi-award winning composer for BBC’s Life and Planet Earth II nature documentaries.
“AWAY has been a passion project of ours for the past few years and we’re so excited to finally be able to share it with the world,” said Breaking Walls co-founder and creative director Laurent Bernier in a press release. “We’re all environmental enthusiasts at Breaking Walls, so we wanted to craft an experience that combines our love for the outdoors and animals with the accessible joys of an exploratory adventure game. AWAY is a unique merging of these separate passions into a singular, cohesive whole. We can’t wait for players to experience it for themselves.”
Watch a new trailer below.